Toybox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expert Realism

5 posters

Go down

Expert Realism Empty Expert Realism

Post by Puffin Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:10 am

Needs more expert realism STAT

Puffin

Back to top Go down

Expert Realism Empty Re: Expert Realism

Post by XD Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:05 am

Need more servers first, then we could have a server for each gamemode sept vs and scavenge, those would = lots of prop spam.
server 1. campaign
server 2. survival
server 3. realism
server 4: Mutation possibly?

XD

Back to top Go down

Post by Puffin Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:33 am

I, for one, really enjoy versus on modded servers. I think that they should have all the regular 4 slot game modes but we should include versus. There can be a prop item limit similar to the dynamic light limit, for example.

Puffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Damian Payne Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:38 am

Puffin wrote:I, for one, really enjoy versus on modded servers. I think that they should have all the regular 4 slot game modes but we should include versus. There can be a prop item limit similar to the dynamic light limit, for example.

My reply in another thread...

DamianPayne wrote: scratch Versus? Really?

Versus is probably one of the lowest priority game modes for Toybox at the moment. I've already tried an entire revamp for versus where the Toybox menu was changed and the teams were somewhat balanced. But that was the biggest issue.

Balancing is almost impossible with a server modded to this extent.

Firstly, it's a competitive game mode. People are coming in not knowing that it's this modded anyway. Rage quits are almost constant as many people don't know what the hell is going on, especially when their enemy is flying away, building stuff on them, and changing their model into a traffic cone. Do you know how annoying it is for newcomers to get pounced by a traffic cone, then spit on by a car? You could almost never get a good game going because one of the teams would completely rage quit, making the server shut down.

It was complete madness. So I had to remove a lot of features. Building had to be removed because people completely disregarded spam rules. The jetpack was disabled because it made hordes useless, the smoker tongue useless, and people could fly over the entire map unharmed. Crouch speed even had to be disabled because some survivors would speed their way to the saferoom and leave everyone else dead. Thus, rounds would last like ~2 minutes. The character select menu had to be disabled to avoid confusion. Same with the model me menu. But what's worse with the model me menu is that it bugged the game to hell. If a special infected changed their model to a survivor, and then charged/pounced someone, they would be invincible as the game recognizes them as a survivor, and yet their victims would still get owned.

The survivors used to be godlike. Now they're pretty boring. The only thing left is the special infected. To get them modded and up to survivor power level was to recode half of the toybox plugins. I wasn't very thrilled when I had to add code that increased their speed, health, fixed their gravity (hunter/jockey), and recode the Toybox Events so they don't mess with the game too hard. The changes with convars for special infected would bug out half the time too and wouldn't register. Overlapping convars over the sourcemod originals was a disaster. I had to reload the versus.cfg at a few hooked events and intervals just so they don't blank out and revert back to coop/survival default.

At the end of the day, Versus was still unbalanced. It wasn't even Toybox anymore. Toybox is supposed to make it easy* and fun for the survivors. Doing that in a competitive game mode is.... meh...
*Easy if you know your way around.

HOWEVER, I would gladly take up these suggestions if we had more servers. A server that was Toybox-Versus specific isn't entirely unrealistic, all we would need was more programmers/coders for the plugins. I really couldn't take up the burden of doing it all just for a Versus server that might not be a hit. Crying or Very sad

[...]
Damian Payne
Damian Payne
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Puffin Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:42 am

Just out of curiosity, SGC never seemed to have the same kind of problem with versus as we do. Did they have a versus-specific server or were players just smarter on SGC?

Puffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Damian Payne Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:50 am

Puffin wrote:Just out of curiosity, SGC never seemed to have the same kind of problem with versus as we do. Did they have a versus-specific server or were players just smarter on SGC?

They didn't have Versus servers... at least not on L4D2.
Damian Payne
Damian Payne
Admin

Back to top Go down

Expert Realism Empty Re Expert realism

Post by SOOTHSAYER Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:43 pm

Well how about in verses matches players can only spawn a few things? it would make it a lot more interesting wouldn't it?
SOOTHSAYER
SOOTHSAYER

Back to top Go down

Post by Showharu Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Kinda hard to get a versus match up unless they dedicate a whole map to it.... I would try out vs. but to many people like survivor and barely anyone would to campaign.
Showharu
Showharu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down