Vote on Z_common_limit

Go down

Vote on Z_common_limit

Post by STK on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Lets say you're in game, and you decide they're just isn't enough zombies for your liking?
Enter z_common_limit

Here's my logic..
With a quad core processor, I can run 70fps on a normal game which defaults to 50 zombie limit.
My upper limit is 300 zombies, where my fps drops to 20, which probably wouldn't be well received by players.
However, at 250 zombies, my frame rate holds steady at 55-60 frames which is entirely acceptable for normal gameplay.
I used a CPU grabber program to simulate the older dual core processors that I know some players use.
At 300 zombies, the fps dips to 5-10 so forget it!
at 250, the fps hovers around 40-45, which is playable.
at 200, the frame rate is optimum, at 50fps.

So, final results...
The optimum upper limit for zombie numbers is around 150-200, which preserves optimum framerate and playability.

A final thought, the vote should be similar to a !votestart with tiers of zombies, where the person calling the vote proposes a new common limit. Starting at 100, and going up by 20 until 200.
The best part would be a decay period where the zombie limit would slowly decrease back to the default number, until the preset was reached, whereupon another player could call a new vote.

Just a thought, hope someone actually takes the time to read this.

STK

Back to top Go down

Re: Vote on Z_common_limit

Post by Damian Payne on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:48 pm

You're over looking the fact that Toybox isn't singleplayer, it's a collection of servers. Your tests were run on singleplayer and it makes sense that your system can handle that many zombies. But standard game servers aren't equipped to handle that amount of data distributed among 8 players. And zombies are only a part of the all the disposable entities that are being generated non-stop... Toybox throws in dynamic and physics props... tons of items, gibs, etc.

Toybox is already handling as much as it can. And to top it off, the default z_common_limit for Left 4 Dead 2 is 30 - Toybox has it set to 75. I find this to be the highest limit possible without potentially lagging the server to pieces, along with all its clients.
Damian Payne
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by STK on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:30 pm

Is the zombie limit a server issue, or just a logistical problem with data transfer?

STK

Back to top Go down

Post by Damian Payne on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:01 pm

maadog80 wrote:logistical problem with data transfer
Damian Payne
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down