Toybox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boundary Circumvention

5 posters

Go down

Boundary Circumvention Empty Boundary Circumvention

Post by STK Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:58 pm

Is there a way for toybox to feasibly allow us to bypass the boundary control walls in maps? most annoying are the building walls which prevent us from building on roofs.

On that note, can we disable spitter goo as a boundary control?

STK

Back to top Go down

Boundary Circumvention Empty Re: Boundary Circumvention

Post by Damian Payne Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Invisible walls are hardwired into the map itself, I can't remove them or disable their player collision properties.

Spitter goo is also hardwired into engine. I have ideas for preventing it but never managed to fulfill them. I doubt they'd work anyway.
Damian Payne
Damian Payne
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by STK Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:26 am

So you could not simply remove the damage done by the goo?

STK

Back to top Go down

Post by Damian Payne Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:28 am

maadog80 wrote:So you could not simply remove the damage done by the goo?
That would have been part of my solution. There are two types of damage that's dealt by the engine's goo. 10 damage upon goo creation, and the usual 3 damage per instance of the player remaining within the goo.

Preventing the 10 dmg would have been easy, like you said I would only need to hook the event of the player getting hurt, retrieve the damage dealt and the client's final health, then simply set the client's health based on the sum.

Now, one way the 3 dmg can be stopped would be to remove the spitter goo. If there's a way to hook the creation of spitter goo, it can be removed instantly as soon as it's created on the client's position. If there isn't, the only alternative would be to set a timer to run every few milliseconds to intercept the goo before it hits the ground. The first way is unlikely to be possible, the second is resource intensive and would make spitters useless. If there's a way around all these barriers, this would be the best method of preventing the mess, damage notifiers, hurt vocals, etc. etc.

All the damage can be prevented by reversing damage by detecting it through a series of player_hurt events. However, the same problems arise. There isn't a way to differentiate between engine goo and real goo coming from a spitter. If it were in effect, spitters would become useless, along with one of my favorite Toybox Events, Acid Bath. Inconsistency and delay is the other problem. During my tests to try and prevent physics damage on players, I found damage detection and reversal to be very inefficient... When it's detected properly, it could often take seconds before the actual reversal takes place. The 10 damage, if I remember correctly, would be dealt from "World", and this is the same source that deals damage from a whole bunch of things - physics, map incap geometry, etc. etc.

If the damage is from "World", continue. If the damage is 10, continue. But what if that damage wasn't actually from the engine's goo?
Damian Payne
Damian Payne
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Damian Payne Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:31 am

It would take a lot of time to carry out the research, coding, and testing to find ways around these problems. And I simply don't have the time, especially for one small feature...
Damian Payne
Damian Payne
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by STK Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:10 am

That "small feature" could open up the map even more.

STK

Back to top Go down

Post by Damian Payne Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:53 pm

maadog80 wrote:That "small feature" could open up the map even more.
Pfft, lrn2heal
Damian Payne
Damian Payne
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thor Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:33 am

Why not just make it to where one health pack brings us up back to 99 or 100 health. So we don't have to keep worrying about it healing over and over?
thor
thor

Back to top Go down

Post by Showharu Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 am

welll i dont think that would help the factor of it doing 10 and constantly spawning in a wide area so seems to pointless to have that happen cause youll be doing it over and over again as you do now that spit is quick on damage and even faster at spawning itself multiple times. Unless it was gotten rid of all together. Plus that spit is funny to watch as kids ask how is spit getting to me way up here. Other solution is admin but everyone cant be an admin. Only way i see it not really working. Id agree with Damian Coding take quite a while so <.< it could be annoying especially test and finding out something wrong in the coding that took hours. and starting over possibly. Maybe if hes lucky he could google it and someone did the work for him if hes lucky some people are dicks about there codes. Arrow
Showharu
Showharu

Back to top Go down

Post by Damian Payne Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:13 pm

Showharu wrote:Maybe if hes lucky he could google it and someone did the work for him
You don't think this was the first thing I did? =p

No one's even bothered with the idea of a plugin preventing it, not since I've last searched a couple months ago.
Damian Payne
Damian Payne
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SOOTHSAYER Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:53 pm

I'm okay at coding , ima see if there's a way to tell the diffidence between the two so we can just block damage done by the boundary control goo. ohnoes
SOOTHSAYER
SOOTHSAYER

Back to top Go down

Post by STK Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:57 pm

Well, I only understand Java code, and not Source, but wouldn't there be a Check event that determines if the player is outside the boundaries, and therefore wouldn't it be possible to hook the Boundary check event, and set it to 0?

STK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum